- When U have an instinct to do something that will help U achieve one of your goals…
- U must immediately count 5-4-3-2-1
- And, then physically move in the direction of that thing
- o 5 seconds is all it takes for your brain to trigger that familiar cascade of self-doubt, hesitation, and excuses that are designed to keep U right where U are
The longer U think about something, the lower your urge to act becomes!
- The Act of Counting Down
- The very act of counting down fires up your prefrontal cortex, snapping U out of autopilot and into decision-making mode, and empowering U to take immediate action when the clock runs out
- Have the urge to work out?
- Count 5-4-3-2-1, and then
- Teach yourself to take action when normally U would stop yourself by thinking
- The rule does not make things easy; it makes them happen!
- Habit change isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon